Wednesday

Pebble Bay 2009 Sauvignon Blanc - ~$6

This Marlborough, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is a recent addition to Fresh & Easy's wine shelves, and if you like New World Sauv Blancs, this is pretty good news for you.

The most immediately striking feature out of the bottle and into the glass is the assertive lime-citrus nose that's zingy enough to suggest white pepper.

The green citrus notes continue on the palate, joined by some Granny Smith apple tartness and just a bit of ginger on the back end. A touch fruit cocktail syrup sweetness (without the viscosity, of course) makes it a bit fatter and a little less crisp than the Boro Hills Sauv Blanc, it's New Zealand compatriot at Fresh & Easy.

In the end, I prefer Boro Hills' greater complexity and length (relatively speaking), but this is perfectly fine New World Sauvignon Blanc at a very appealing price.


Score

Drinkability: 8/10
Price: 4.5/5
Total value: 12.5/15

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try in SV is my absolute to die for fav! thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifurla - let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it. I'm from New Zealand, and I am definitely picky when it comes to sav blanc. This one cannot be beat for price and drinkability!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge fan of the Pebble Bay Sauvignon Blanc...found at Fresh and Easy. Have not tried the Boro Hill but will keep it in mind based on the comparison in previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pebble Bay, in my opinion, is better than Boro Hill. I enjoy the grape fruity taste of the Pebble Bay. Any SV from New Zealand is wonderful compared to all others!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pebble bay, I've been addicted for weeks now. I can't believe the price and the taste. I notice that it sells out quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where is Pebble Bay wine gone? Missing my favorite. Please bring it back Fresh & Easy!

    ReplyDelete

Individual taste matters! What did you think of the wine?