Wednesday

Ora 2008 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo - ~$5

I've had good experiences with Fresh & Easy's Italian selections, and so I was curious in a "pleasantly surprised" way when I noticed this Montepulciano d'Abruzzo on the shelf. Even at the Indicazione Geografica Tipica level, Montepulciano d'Abruzzos can be very good wine deals, as evidenced here.

The wine opens with earthy aromas of cherry and blueberry. Typical of the Montepulciano grape, this is soft and approachable red but not at all flabby or fat. The acidity is nicely balanced and gives the wine a nice grip. In the mouth Ora is all about succulent, slightly sour cherry fruit and hints of licorice and tar, and it finishes with soft, sweet tannins.

All in all, this is a fun, juicy, fruit-forward red, and perhaps something to reach for instead of a generic Merlot.




Score

Drinkability: 8/10
Price: 4/5
Total value: 12/15

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it. It's a good Italian wine, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. cronaca pescara

    ReplyDelete

Individual taste matters! What did you think of the wine?